Using SmView until Periph8x is ready...
Posted at Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 10:43PM by jbr

So all I really want to do is control my computer with my calculator's keys. I don't really care if it shows up as a keyboard or gamepad at this point (although I will prefer gamepad when it is possible).

Since periph8x isn't available yet, I'm trying to use SmView or even TI's huge app SmartPad to fill in. I have heard that the calc shows up as a regular old HID when you connect it in that mode, but I'm not getting anything. The calc doesn't even stay in the program. It just exits both immediately, like it is supposed to if it detects that it isn't hooked up.

Is any of this true, or is there something I need to change to get it to work?

re:Using SmView until Periph8x is ready...
Posted at Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 11:03PM by jbr

Hmm... Upon doing further research, I found that old video of Brandon typing "hello world" in notepad with his calculator. So at least that means I didn't dream this whole thing up and that it has at least been done before.

Would he be willing to send the uncompleted program he used in that video to me?

Posted at Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 11:30PM by jbr

Ugh. Ok, I found a demo keyboard program in the "calcstuff" archive, and it works... marginally.
The issue is that I can only use keys 0-9, and that they don't have any kind of repeat.
See, I'm trying to play bomberman with this, and the thing is, if I can only do quick "taps" on the key, bomberman only moves the tiniest of steps. Does the program you demoed in the youtube vid address any of this? Is there some easy way to add in at least an artificial key repeat?

Sorry about all the questions, but the work that's being done in this area is so interesting, and I see a real opportunity here to put it to good use (save's me having to buy an extra gamepad).

You have no idea the trouble I went through just to get linking working on vista. I had to manually give myself permission to give myself permission to change my permissions to see the registry keys that TI-Connect needed to work (yes, you read that right. There really are that many levels of permission).
In the end, TiLP was sooo much simpler.

Point is, I really want to get this working the way I want it, after investing all day in it.

Posted at Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 1:26PM by jbr

Thanks for the information. As it happens, I was _not_ using an OS greater than or equal to 2.40, I was still using 2.30. Your keyboard demo program said to only use it with 2.41, but I could only locate 2.43 and the 2.30 I already had, so I just gave it a shot.

I guess I'll just upgrade to 2.43 and see where SmView gets me. (I really need some kind of way to convince the computer that I'm holding down the keys, or it just won't work for playing games, unfortunately.)

Posted at Saturday, October 18th, 2008 4:27PM by jbr

Yeah, I figured that out... They all show up as some silly windows specific key...

Oh well. Someday I, guess, it'll all work.

Posted at Monday, November 10th, 2008 8:54PM by TheStorm

If its showing up as a HID and is sending KeyPresses you could use GolvePIE to write a script that will convert those key presses into something that makes sence. In fact I just might go and do that and upload the script somewhere.

Posted at Thursday, April 5th, 2012 9:18PM by fortytwo

I modified the key and modifier values of smview with calcsys, and my calc now works well as gamepad/keypad.

You must be logged in to post replies.