Computer Cooling
Posted at Thursday, October 30th, 2008 6:23PM by bxsciencer

Hey Brandon, your good at building computers right?

do you know the answer to this question:

would it be a good idea to use aerogel as a heatsink-like thing? or should i just get a fan with a heatsink?

re:Computer Cooling
Posted at Thursday, October 30th, 2008 7:31PM by bxsciencer

ok. why not. fan and heatsink should be more than enough for me in anycase. im not doing anything crazy either

Posted at Saturday, November 1st, 2008 12:55PM by jbr

Where would you get enough aerogel to build a heatsink? Are you talking about the granulated stuff?

Also, I know aerogel is an incredible insulator, but isn't the point of a heatsink to absorb the heat, not keep it near the chip?

Maybe I've got the wrong idea about aerogel...

Posted at Sunday, November 2nd, 2008 5:03PM by bxsciencer

oh... yeah. i think its an insulator. my fault. but, why couldnt it also absorb an incredible amount of heat since it can keep crayons from melting?

and yeah. im talking about the granulated aerogel

Posted at Sunday, November 2nd, 2008 10:32PM by jbr

United Nuclear user, aren't you?
(Yeah, one of my favorite websites.)

I don't think aerogel _absorbs_ heat, it just keeps it from going through it (think about how a mirror still blocks light if you stand behind it, even though it absorbs very little).

You could, however, use it to keep heat from moving around in the computer. Like maybe make a wall between the power modulator and the mobo or something.

Posted at Monday, November 3rd, 2008 6:27AM by bxsciencer

yep. united nuclear

i'll probably not get aerogel. fan and heatsink is more than enough

Posted at Monday, November 3rd, 2008 6:27PM by lrwr

well, aerogel is defentely not what you want in an ordinary computer.
If you want better cooling you may want to consider a liquid cooling system, I've got mine for about a month now :)

where you can think about aerogel is when using super cooling (dry ice oder liquid nitrogen), because when using this low temperatures isolation is what you need.
But I think I'll stick to normal Armaflex isolation, it works fine and I don't have problems about getting it. (I'm living in germany, so I can't order from united nuclear)
If one of you tries aerogel isolation, let me know ;)

Also, if anyone of you is in this extreme overclocking scene you may have heard of "Team Hardwareluxx Germany", rank 18 in hwbot (Community rankings) =)
(but this in pretty off topic now)

Posted at Monday, November 3rd, 2008 7:04PM by bxsciencer

ok. i wont try aerogel. i think

Posted at Thursday, November 6th, 2008 8:26PM by jbr

It would still be cool just to play with. You could whip up some sulfur hexafluoride (a really dense gas, if I remember mythbusters correctly) and see if you can make the aerogel float in it. A solid floating on a gas! So cool!

Of course, I have no idea how to make or buy sulfur hexafluoride. Maybe plain old argon would do the trick, however.

Yeah, way off topic now. The topic title needs to be changed to "Computer Cooling | We Like Chemicals".

Posted at Saturday, November 8th, 2008 8:03AM by bxsciencer

hexafluoride? are you nuts?

Posted at Saturday, November 8th, 2008 5:14PM by jbr

Ok, so making it from pure fluorine sulfur would be pretty... unpleasant, but in that form it's supposed to be more or less inert and safe enough to work with using common sense precautions.

Maybe I should just go look for a youtube video of someone doing this, and that way I won't kill myself trying it at home...

Posted at Sunday, November 9th, 2008 12:03AM by bxsciencer

:)

You must be logged in to post replies.