Signapore???
Posted at Thursday, December 4th, 2008 8:34AM by Mapar007

Wtf is it? It has something to do with on+8+2/5, but what DOES it??

re:Signapore???
Posted at Thursday, December 4th, 2008 10:23PM by jbr

While we're at it, can someone just tell me once and for all what on+8+5/2 does? I'm too scared to try it on my real calc, but I hear about it around here all the time!

Posted at Thursday, December 4th, 2008 10:35PM by DrDnar

It's a misspelling of Singapore. If you hold 8 and 2 or five while turning the calc on, it will present you with a screen to basically clear all memory. (There is a cancel option.) The 8+2 option is 'For Signapore'. Unlike 2+5, it preserves certain localization apps. It seems that hooks are cleared even you hit the ESC option.

Posted at Saturday, January 2nd, 2010 10:54AM by ntazevhpynz

I hope it isnt too late to explain the "mem cleared for singapore" thing.

Singapore (not signapore) is a little island-nation at the southern tip of Western Malaysia. (Dont bother looking for it in the OurWorld app, it's not there. We are too small to be easily seen on the map.)

The main route to university in Singapore is through taking the 'A' level examinations (to be precise, our version of it). A recent change to the 'A' level syllabus (I think it was 2004) requires the use of graphing calculators. The main graphing calculators being used now are the TI-84+ and TI-84+ SE, while a few use some other Casio calculator I dont know much about. The Casio calculator has conic graphing and some other things built into the OS, so it remains despite memory clears.

My guess (It is only a guess, I have no way of ascertaining whether this is true) is that TI made an agreement with the examination board for the apps to remain in the calculator using this special kind of reset, in order to maintain a competitive edge over the other calculators.

We have to use PlySmlt and Conics for the mathematics syllabus, while Transfrm and Inequalz are not used. Technically, CtlgHelp is not required so the teachers don't use it, though it's useful in keying the arguments for a function like fnint(. The students (my friends) mostly don't know how to use it either.

You must be logged in to post replies.